How To Grow Tobacco From Seeds
Growing tobacco at home is much easier than you may think. You do not need a greenhouse. Tobacco plant seeds can be bought at any time of the year as they stay viable for many years when you store them in a fridge. Please click onto a picture above for more details. This site was updated on July 28, 2014.
1. Do not cover the seeds with soil. They need daylight to germinate. Place containers with the seeds near a window, but avoid direct sunlight.
2. Use a water spray bottle to keep the soil wet consistently. If the seeds dry out, they will die! Once you notice some tiny green sprouts, cut back on the water and keep the soil from now on only moist. Do not use distilled water!
3. A good temperature for the seed to germinate is about 75 - 80 degrees F.
4. Germination can begin already after four days, longer (up to 10 days) under imperfect conditions.
5. Tobacco seeds do not contain any nutrients for the seedling to grow. They depend strongly on good soil. A good soil to germinate the seeds is tomato planting soil.
6. Keep the young tobacco plants away from direct sunlight, until you have acclimatized them to the outdoors.
7. To acclimatize them, place the containers with the plants outside in a fully shaded area for about 5 to 7 days. After this, they are ready for transplanting into the garden.
8. Peat containers are not recommended. Once transplanted with those containers into your garden, they actually can hinder the water to reach the roots.
9. Regularly water your tobacco plants.
10. Remove any weeds around your plants as they take away too much water. Weeding makes a difference!
Tobacco plant diseases: Most growers will never encounter a plant disease or pests. Should you be unlucky, then click this link to find out about tobacco plant diseases: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tobacco_diseases
Tobacco plant pests: Click this link to read about tobacco plant pests.
European customers can also order the tobacco seeds from our branch office in Germany. The instructions are in German. Click here to have a look.
Is Growing And Making Tobacco Legal?
Growing and making tobacco for your own, personal use is fully legal. We do not know of any area where this is not the case. Like it is with making your own wine or beer, you also will not be allowed to sell it. Restrictions are often placed on the number of plants which you are allowed to grow or on the size of your tobacco field. However, this amount is sufficient to make enough tobacco to last you for over one year.
Why Make Your Own Tobacco?
Tobacco plants deplete the soil of nutrients much faster than most other plants. To enrich the soil again, tobacco farmers use cost-effective phosphate fertilizers. However, phosphate fertilizers contain a natural occurring radioactive radon, which the leaves pick up. When smoking, this radon gets into the lungs. Radioactivity never leaves the body. It builds up and it causes cancer. If you smoke 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes daily, then you will receive over one year as much radiation as from 300 or more chest x-rays. Phosphates kill! Do not use phosphate based fertilizers when growing vegetables, tobacco or fruits! Check the label on the box for Phosphates (P2O5). Click here to read more about the danger of phosphate fertilizers.
Nicotiana Rustica Tobacco
Please be advised that the "Nicotiana Rustica" tobacco plant, also known as Ceremonial, Shaman's, Aztec, Native or Wild tobacco etc., contains much more nicotine than the regular North American smoking tobacco. Smoking it pure can lead to dizziness, sweating, a faster heart rate and a sick feeling. Nicotine at extreme high levels becomes a hallucinogenic and can, under certain conditions, even be fatal. If your body is not used to such a high amount of nicotine, then use only "Nicotiana Tabacum" (Virginia, Cuban or Burley), which is the common North American smoking tobacco. Nevertheless, Rustica is the ideal plant to use for making a nicotine e liquid. It can also be used in small quantities for blending a stronger smoking tobacco.
If you have a site that may be of interest to smokers, then tell me about your site. I will then contact you.
Hydroponic Growing System: www.hydromatic.us
Free Newsletter For Smokers: www.smokersclub.com
- Please email us if you experience a problem with this site -