This site was updated on May 21, 2015
How To Grow Tobacco From Seeds
Growing and making your own tobacco is much easier and faster than you may think. No greenhouse or special equipment is needed. Tobacco plant seeds can be bought at any time of the year. They stay viable for many years when stored in a fridge.
1. Do not cover the seeds with soil. Tobacco seeds need daylight to germinate. Place the seeds only on top of the soil and keep the containers indoors near a window. Avoid direct sunlight.
2. Use a spray bottle with water to keep the soil wet. If the tobacco seeds dry out, they will die! Once you notice some tiny green sprouts, they then have germinated. Now decrease the water to keep the soil only moist. Do not use distilled water!
3. A good temperature for the seed to germinate is about 75 - 80 degrees F.
4. Germination can begin already after four days, longer (up to 10 days) under imperfect conditions.
5. Tobacco seeds do not contain any nutrients for the seedling to grow. They depend strongly on the soil. Use bagged composted cow manure, mixed with garden soil. If not available, then use tomato planting soil. Do not use chemical fertilizers!
6. Keep the young tobacco plants away from direct sunlight, until you have acclimatized them to the outdoors.
7. To acclimatize them, place the plants outside in a fully shaded area for about 5 to 7 days. After this, they are ready for transplanting into your garden.
8. The use of peat containers is not recommended.
9. Regularly water your tobacco plants.
10. Remove any weeds around your tobacco plants as they take away too much water. Weeding makes a difference!
11. Total growing time for tobacco and for the seeds to fully mature on the plant, is around 135 frost free days. You can however use the leaves for smoking already much sooner.
Take care of your plants and they will show you, what they can do!
Tobacco plant diseases: Most growers will never encounter a plant disease or pests. Should you be unlucky, then click this link to find out about tobacco plant diseases: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tobacco_diseases
Tobacco plant pests: Click this link to read about tobacco plant pests
European customers can also order the tobacco seeds from our branch office in Germany. The instructions are then in German. Click here to have a look
Why Grow And Make Your Own Tobacco?
SAVINGS: If you smoke one package of cigarettes per day at a cost of $12.50, then can safe about $4,562.50 every year.
HEALTH: Tobacco plants are depleting the soil of nutrients much faster than many other plants. To enrich the soil again for the next crop, tobacco farmers use cost-effective phosphate fertilizers. However, phosphate fertilizers contain a natural occurring radioactive radon, which the leaves pick up. When smoking, this radon is then getting into your lungs. Radioactivity never leaves the body. Instead, it builds up over time and will eventually cause cancer. If you smoke 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes daily, then you will receive over one year as much radiation as from 300 or more chest x-rays. Phosphates and chemicals are a killer! Do not use phosphate based fertilizers when growing vegetables, tobacco or fruits! Check the label on the box for Phosphates (P2O5). Click here to read more about the danger of phosphate fertilizers. When growing your tobacco plants avoid all chemicals. Instead mix in some organic planting soil into your garden and you will enjoy a fresh, good tasting tobacco. You may also experience less or no more coughing.
Is Growing And Making Tobacco Legal?
Growing and making tobacco for your personal use for either smoking or making a nicotine e liquid is fully legal. We do not know of any area where this is not the case. Like it is with making your own wine or beer, you are also not allowed to sell it. Restrictions are often placed on the number of plants which you are allowed to grow or on the size of your tobacco field. However, this amount is sufficient to make enough tobacco to last for over one year.
If you have a site that may be of interest to smokers, then please tell me about it. I will then consider exchanging a link with you.
Hydroponic Growing System: www.hydromatic.us
Free Newsletter For Smokers: www.smokersclub.com
How Cigars Are Made: www.cubancrafters.com
- Please email us if you experience a problem with this site -